Therefore thou art inexcusable, O man, whosoever thou art that judgest: for wherein thou judgest another, thou condemnest thyself; for thou that judgest doest the same things.
- The "therefore" is there for all of the sins described in chapter one towards the end
- This is precisely because those who reject God always try to judge God as an evil ogre, dictator
But we are sure that the judgment of God is according to truth against them which commit such things.
- But we know better...
- God's judgment is true, and it is against the evil doers
- And, based upon that holiness, ONLY God's judgment is true, and not mankind's
And thinkest thou this, O man, that judgest them which do such things, and doest the same, that thou shalt escape the judgment of God?
- No matter what we say about God in this life, we will all meet Him
- This is a guaranteed certainty, and a divine appointment, a done deal
- Every knee shall bow, every tongue confess that Jesus Christ is LORD!
That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.
Or despisest thou the riches of his goodness and forbearance and longsuffering; not knowing that the goodness of God leadeth thee to repentance?
- People often ask, "What makes one repent?" or, "How do I repent?". Here is the answer
- Imagine hating God's forbearance, goodness and patience with us. He "suffers long" (allows it for a long time) hating our sin, as in longsuffering
- To feel or bear what is painful, disagreeable or distressing, either to the body or mind; to undergo. We suffer pain of body; we suffer grief of mind. The criminal suffers punishment; the sinner suffers the pangs of conscience in this life, and is condemned to suffer the wrath of an offended God. We often suffer wrong; we suffer abuse; we suffer injustice.
- To endure; to support; to sustain; not to sink under.
Our spirit and strength entire, Strongly to suffer and support our pains.
- To allow; to permit; not to forbid or hinder.
Will you suffer yourself to be insulted? I suffer them to enter and possess. Thou shalt in any wise rebuke thy neighbor, and not suffer sin upon him. Lex.19.
- To undergo; to be affected by. Substances suffer an entire change by the action of fire, or by entering into new combinations.
- To sustain; to be affected by; as, to suffer loss or damage.
- To undergo, as punishment. The father was first condemned to suffer on a day appointed,and the son afterwards, the day following.
- To be injured; to sustain loss or damage. A building suffers for want of seasonable repairs. It is just that we should suffer for neglect of duty. Public business suffers by private infirmities.
But after thy hardness and impenitent heart treasurest up unto thyself wrath against the day of wrath and revelation of the righteous judgment of God;
- The goodness of God leads us t repentance; the hardness of our hearts leads us to sin and live in sin
- An unbeliever stores up more and more wrath with each breath, in each moment, every day.
- About the most merciful thing God can do is end a life early for a person who will not get saved, so as to have less wrath on them in hell
- Again, this is the righteous judgment of God, period.
Who will render to every man according to his deeds:
- In one way or another, there will be a meting out of judgment and wrath on all mankind (every man) who rejects, and rewards for all who believe
(1 Thessalonians 5:3)
For when they shall say, Peace and safety; then sudden destruction cometh upon them, as travail upon a woman with child; and they shall not escape.
To them who by patient continuance in well doing seek for glory and honour and immortality, eternal life:
- Conversely, for us, there will be no escape for rewards for good deeds, including crowns of righteousness, etc.
But unto them that are contentious, and do not obey the truth, but obey unrighteousness, indignation and wrath,
- Again, this is eternal punishment, judgment, wrath, with no hope, no escape, no God (most important)
- They specifically asked for a godless life when they rejected the Gospel-now they get what they asked for by name, a God-less eternal life (death)
Tribulation and anguish, upon every soul of man that doeth evil, of the Jew first, and also of the Gentile;
- To him that has been given, more than the savage in the jungle, because they knew better, making it more willfuil
Much every way: chiefly, because that unto them were committed the oracles of God.
This is he, that was in the church in the wilderness with the angel which spake to him in the mount Sina, and with our fathers: who received the lively oracles to give unto us:
(1 Peter 1:14)
As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
But glory, honour, and peace, to every man that worketh good, to the Jew first, and also to the Gentile:
- Same order of priority
- A Messianic Jew is special to God, and should be to us, as both CHOSEN (as a Jew) and CHOSEN (as a Christian)
- This is also a mystery to us, because the Jew is just a person, but nevertheless God chose Israel to be different and special than the Gentiles, giving only them the revelation of His Master Plan, and for us to get it through them then
- The Jews preserved His Word for us until the Church age and partly into it. Thank a Jew for that today
For there is no respect of persons with God.
- Regardless, heritage does not save. They also must believe in Jesus Christ as the Gentiles do.
- God will not automatically save a Jew because he is a Jew, but because he believes in Jesus Christ.
- It was always by belief in the Suffering, promised Messiah, then looking forward (the Old Testament), and looking back (the New Testament)
For as many as have sinned without law shall also perish without law: and as many as have sinned in the law shall be judged by the law;
- In other words, we are responsible for what revelation we have, what knowledge of the law we have
- (verse 15) Also, that law is written in the consciousness of mankind-he knows what is right and wrong, and he knows that God exists without meeting a Christian or reading Scripture
(For not the hearers of the law are just before God, but the doers of the law shall be justified.
- Because that written law only points us to Christ, it is not enough to KNOW the Gospel (the law); one must BELIEVE that Gospel
- Believing is doing that law, which leads to justification
- From this verse to verse 17 is all one parenthesis to make a side point by Paul
Jesus answered and said unto them, This is the work of God, that ye believe on him whom he hath sent.
For when the Gentiles, which have not the law, do by nature the things contained in the law, these, having not the law, are a law unto themselves:
- Unto the Jews was given the Law (oracles of God), and yet people worldwide have a sense of right, wrong, justice naturally
- They simply over time and life living, brainwashing sear that conscious and harden their heart just like Pharaoh
- To be clear: GOD NEVER HARDENS A HEART THAT WANTS TO BE SOFT, SOFTENED!
Which shew the work of the law written in their hearts, their conscience also bearing witness, and their thoughts the mean while accusing or else excusing one another;)
- By doing the right things, they show, they prove, they are evidence that God exists through their deeds
- Both mindsets are present until that searing of the conscious.
- When they do right they know it, and when they do wrong they either know it and feel guilty (accuse themselves or accused of themselves) or know it and excuse it (excuse themselves, attempts to exempt themselves)
In the day when God shall judge the secrets of men by Jesus Christ according to my gospel.
- Every idle word, every idle thought, every intention, every deed
- Men have very many secrets in this world, all men do
Behold, thou art called a Jew, and restest in the law, and makest thy boast of God,
- By resting in the Law, the natural man, which includes the Jewish natural man, thinks that the law can save them by following the "being good"
- this law is not the Gospel, the work of believing, but rather the law of believing in their own work, not the finished work of the Cross, a different work altogether
- By being self-righteous, the "keeper of the law" then is vocal, verbal, declaring how good they are when asked.
- "We are God's chosen people!", saith the Jew, but Paul says that, this being 100% true (and it is)does not save one
And knowest his will, and approvest the things that are more excellent, being instructed out of the law;
- They know His will from their Old Testament
- They approve of other men doing well, loving their neighbor, doing good works, charity
- They know that this is good because of their own Old Testament Scriptures
And art confident that thou thyself art a guide of the blind, a light of them which are in darkness,
- They have self-confidence that they can through their own religion, open the eyes of the blind
- They rest in being Jewish, and consider that a light to the world
- They forget that Jesus Christ is the Light of the World
- When anyone rejects Jesus Christ? They substitute and rely upon their own goodness as their light and salvation
¶ Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
As long as I am in the world, I am the light of the world. (Romans 2:20)
An instructor of the foolish, a teacher of babes, which hast the form of knowledge and of the truth in the law.
- In their arrogance, they always look down on those who they think are inferior (Gentiles, "Goyim" in Yiddish)
- It takes the Gospel to humble any man enough to no longer think others are "foolish", "babes" without them
- God needs no man (Jew or Gentile) to complete His plan and plans....He merely uses them because He loves them
Thou therefore which teachest another, teachest thou not thyself? thou that preachest a man should not steal, dost thou steal?
- This is exposing hypocrisy, a double standard
- Those who teach God is evil because He killed innocents in the Old Testament try to take the upper hand on right and wrong.....hypocrites
Thou that sayest a man should not commit adultery, dost thou commit adultery? thou that abhorrest idols, dost thou commit sacrilege?
- Stealing property, stealing spouses, idolatry
- A Jew (or a Gentile, the same fallen mankind) would understand the Old Testament warning against idolatry, and yet worship other things above God, such as money, power, prestige, famous people
- America does not need to erect statues to pagan gods.....we worship anything but God now, corporately
Thou that makest thy boast of the law, through breaking the law dishonourest thou God?
- Any self-righteous person can point to the outside appearance of themselves before men and say, "I do not break the LAW!"
- But God sees the heart
- But God sees the secrets, the actions done in private, the thoughts
For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.
- Because of their behavior throughout history, God was blasphemed by the Gentile heathens, pagans
- This is also true today because of their behavior-anti-Semitism here and worldwide, Nazi Germany
- This is also true today because of our behavior-TELEVANGELISTS, for example
Now therefore, what have I here, saith the LORD, that my people is taken away for nought? they that rule over them make them to howl, saith the LORD; and my name continually every day is blasphemed.
And when they entered unto the heathen, whither they went, they profaned my holy name, when they said to them, These are the people of the LORD, and are gone forth out of his land.
And I will sanctify my great name, which was profaned among the heathen, which ye have profaned in the midst of them; and the heathen shall know that I am the LORD, saith the Lord GOD, when I shall be sanctified in you before their eyes.
For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
- Circumcision is OK for health and medical purposes, but the fact is that it is not necessary for salvation, sanctification or a good testimony
- Failure to be obedient to the commands of Christ is like an uncircumcised Jew!
Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
- It is backwards, when the uncircumcised keep the law, who would not generally, and those who would do not
- Their salvation is pre-eminent, as they are saved, and uncircumcised, but having Christ
- The circumcised will not get in without Jesus Christ
And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
- It is not natural to be circumcised (we are not born circumcised), but rather a command
- We shall judge angels, and be there at the White Throne Judgment
Know ye not that we shall judge angels? how much more things that pertain to this life?
For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
- This is spiritual circumcision of the heart, not in the flesh
- Paul is saying that a true Jew is a complete Jew spiritually, with the Messiah, not with the circumcision
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
- This is the final say on being a follower of the real Messiah of Israel, inwardly, the heart without the law
- This please God, not men, this saves, not enslaves, this is eternal, not temporal, this is spiritual, not carnal