Genesis Chapter 8
In Creation Science and, more specifically, Flood Geology, the events of the Flood are of course the most significant factor in changing the physiographic (appearance) surface of the earth, wiping out all of the features put there at Creation, right after it was "without form and void", (Genesis 1:2). The next immediate and enduring cause of great change to the physiographic nature of the surface is the Post-Flood draining of water, which would have taken perhaps months, years and even decades to complete. Trapped on continents would have been inland lakes, sitting, waiting, then suddenly breaching soft spots. Once this would have started, the flow of rapidly moving sediment and boulder-laden waters would again scour out massive canyons, cutting like a hot knife through butter, not stopping until hydraulic equilibrium was reached.
- Cannot be multiple floods, since those happen today without these results
- Cannot be from slow, uniformitarian processes over millions of years, since that does not fit the visible evidence
- Must be from one Global, Hydraulic Catastrophe, also known as Noah's Flood
And God remembered Noah, and every living thing, and all the cattle that was with him in the ark: and God made a wind to pass over the earth, and the waters asswaged;
- God does not forget his people; He merely acted on now getting Noah onto land and out of the ark
- Weather appears on earth in the form of wind, for the first time
- To have in the mind an idea which had been in the mind before, and which recurs to the mind without effort. We are said to remember any thing, when the idea of it arises in the mind with the consciousness that we have had this idea before.
- When we use effort to recall an idea, we are said to recollect it. This distinction is not always observed. Hence remember is often used as
synonymous with recollect, that is, to call to mind. We say, we cannot remember a fact, when we mean, we cannot recollect it.
Remember the days of old. Deu 32.
- To bear or keep in mind; to attend to. Remember what I warn thee; shun to taste.
- To preserve the memory of; to preserve from being forgotten. Let them have their wages duly paid, and something over to remember me.
- To mention. [Not in use.]
- To put in mind; to remind; as, to remember one of his duty. [Not in use.]
- To think of and consider; to meditate. Psa 63.
- To bear in mind with esteem; or to reward.
- To bear in mind with praise or admiration; to celebrate. 1 Chr 16.
- To bear in mind with favor, care, and regard for the safety or deliverance of any one. Psa 74. Gen 8. Gen 19.
- . To bear in mind with intentto reward or punish. 3 John 10. Jer 31.
- To bear in mind with confidence; to trust in. Psa 20.
- To bear in mind with the purpose of assisting or relieving. Gal 2.
- To bear in mind with reverence; to obey.
Remember thy Creator in the days of thy youth. Eccl 12.
- To bear in mind with regard; to keep as sacred; to observe. Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy.Exo 20.
To remember mercy, is to exercise it. Hab 3.
- REMEM'BERED, pp. Kept in mind; recollected.
The fountains also of the deep and the windows of heaven were stopped, and the rain from heaven was restrained;
And the waters returned from off the earth continually: and after the end of the hundred and fifty days the waters were abated.
- Half of a year to drain water into the oceans means that is a lot of water
And the ark rested in the seventh month, on the seventeenth day of the month, upon the mountains of Ararat.
- So this is past the five months and a sixth month of thirty days
- It says the mountains OF Ararat, and not on Mount Ararat
And the waters decreased continually until the tenth month: in the tenth month, on the first day of the month, were the tops of the mountains seen.
- So between the stopping of the boat to the first mountaintop being see is three more months of draining
- This is nonstop, slow draining of the waters downward,and Noah is still in the ark surrounded by water
And it came to pass at the end of forty days, that Noah opened the window of the ark which he had made:
- Imagine the world Noah would have seen opening that window the LORD asked him to make
And he sent forth a raven, which went forth to and fro, until the waters were dried up from off the earth.
- The raven apparently just kept going
- A raven is not exactly anything like a dove.
- They eat carrion and anything else they can get their beaks on and there would have been plenty floating to land on and eat.
Also he sent forth a dove from him, to see if the waters were abated from off the face of the ground; But the dove found no rest for the sole of her foot, and she returned unto him into the ark, for the waters were on the face of the whole earth: then he put forth his hand, and took her, and pulled her in unto him into the ark.
- Doves do not eat carrion and would probably not land on a carcass so that eventually, being tired from flying, it would have to land back on the ark
And he stayed yet other seven days; and again he sent forth the dove out of the ark; And the dove came in to him in the evening; and, lo, in her mouth was an olive leaf pluckt off: so Noah knew that the waters were abated from off the earth.
- Finally, some dry land. It is significant that this is an olive leaf, a symbol of peace
- A new beginning for earth; one day a beginning for Israel, finally a new beginning at the Second Coming, all with the olive tree, the olive branch, the olive leaf and the olive oil from the oil involved.
- This is dry land; just not enough for Noah to release the animals off of the Ark, but it is a sign that this is about to change
- Some trees in Israel are 2,000-3,000 years old
- The trees grow in hot and dry, cold and wet
- They are resurrected through shoots even when burned to the ground, like Israel
- The tree symbolizes faithfulness, steadfastness, fruitfulness, faithfulness and continuity.
- Priesthood anointed with olive oil
- Jesus spent a lot of time on the Mount of Olives
- He will return to the Mount of Olives at Armageddon
- David wept coming to it; as Jesus wept coming to it
And David went up by the ascent of mount Olivet, and wept as he went up, and had his head covered, and he went barefoot: and all the people that was with him covered every man his head, and they went up, weeping as they went up.
And when he was come nigh, even now at the descent of the mount of Olives, the whole multitude of the disciples began to rejoice and praise God with a loud voice for all the mighty works that they had seen; Saying, Blessed be the King that cometh in the name of the Lord: peace in heaven,and glory in the highest.
And ome of the Pharisees from among the multitude said unto him, Master, rebuke thy disciples. And he answered and said unto them, I tell you that, if these should hold their peace, the stones would immediately cry out. And when he was come near, he beheld the city, and wept over it, Saying, If thou hadst known, even thou, at least in this thy day, the things which belong unto thy peace! but now they are hid from thine eyes. For
the days shall come upon thee, that thine enemies shall cast a trench about thee, and compass thee round, and keep thee in on every side, And shall lay thee even with the ground, and thy children within thee; and they shall not leave in thee one stone upon another; because thou knewest not the time of thy visitation.
And as he sat upon the mount of Olives, the disciples came unto him privately, saying, Tell us, when shall these things be? and what shall be the sign of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
- Used in Mediterranean countries for thousands of years and is quickly becoming more popular here in North America and other parts of the world.
- Olive oil is actually a pure fruit juice and unlike most seed or vegetable oils, it does not require any heat or chemicals to extract the oil and needs no refinement.
- IT can be cold-pressed
- Olive oil can be consumed as is immediately after pressing.
- Good for cholesterol, the skin, health and nutrition
But I am like a green olive tree in the house of God: I trust in the mercy of God for ever and ever.
Thy wife shall be as a fruitful vine by the sides of thine house: thy children like olive plants round about thy table.
Then shall the LORD go forth, and fight against those nations, as when he fought in the day of battle. And his feet shall stand in that day upon the mount of Olives, which is before Jerusalem on the east, and the mount of Olives shall cleave in the midst thereof toward the east and toward the west, and there shall be a very great valley; and half of the mountain shall remove toward the north, and half of it toward the south. (Genesis 8:12)
And he stayed yet other seven days; and sent forth the dove; which returned not again unto him any more.
- The earth had now drained enough to allow the animals to exit the ark and be safe on dry land.
- It may have not been done yet, but sufficiently for them to exit
And it came to pass in the six hundredth and first year, in the first month, the first day of the month, the waters were dried up from off the earth: and Noah removed the covering of the ark, and looked, and, behold, the face of the ground was dry.
- Behold.....imagine Noah's face seeing that
- Everyone around him as neighbors, all of his mockers for 120 years, all animals on land, dead and fossilizing
- He entered the ark from a completely different world, to one that is a disaster
- Everything has changed
- Weather, wind, cold, hot, dry, humid,
- Not many plants yet, none which will rival the Pre-Flood of a half a year earlier
- Every living thing which was on the face of the earth is now exiting the ark with him.
- All of the former corruption was gone forever, only memorialized as fossils, and a fresh start was now for Noah.
And in the second month, on the seven and twentieth day of the month, was the earth dried.
- That first month is was still muddy, wet, swampy, probably smelly-a reminder of what just happened
And God spake unto Noah, saying, Go forth of the ark, thou, and thy wife, and thy sons, and thy sons' wives with thee. Bring forth with thee every living thing that is with thee, of all flesh, both of fowl, and of cattle, and of every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth; that they may breed abundantly in the earth, and be fruitful, and multiply upon the earth.
- There is no evidence that God spoke to Noah during the Flood.
- Noah was in the ark, listening, maybe occasionally popping open a window to see what was happening outside, but he knew for sure he was in God's will, because he was in God's boat.
- Everything in the ark survived, not just his family
And Noah went forth, and his sons, and his wife, and his sons' wives with him: Every beast, every creeping thing, and every fowl, and whatsoever creepeth upon the earth, after their kinds, went forth out of the ark.
- Eight on; eight off.
- God said He would preserve them and fulfilled His promise
- The exit of Noah, his family and the animals on the Ark should be a reminder of God's faithfulness to us.
And Noah builded an altar unto the LORD; and took of every clean beast, and of every clean fowl, and offered burnt offerings on the altar.
- This is the purpose of the seven clean animals, clean fowl
- God wanted Noah's worship, in the end. He was only one of eight people on earth, 100% of whom were capable of doing such a thing
- This is a rare time on earth, such as the Garden before the Fall, the start of the millennial kingdom, and eternity-all who are alive are believers.
And the LORD smelled a sweet savour; and the LORD said in his heart, I will not again curse the ground any more for man's sake; for the imagination of man's heart is evil from his youth; neither will I again smite any more every thing living, as I have done.
- God loves a good BBQ!
- Again God repeats it was a global flood, wiping out all of the life on earth, save those in the Ark.
- Man brought the curse of the ground on himself in the Garden, and then here before the Flood for 120 years straight.
But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man. (Genesis 8:22)
While the earth remaineth, seedtime and harvest, and cold and heat, and summer and winter, and day and night shall not cease.
- These four seasons are with us today
- They shall not cease until God creates a new Heaven and a new earth.
Effects of the Flood and Post Flood
- Thin layers of water-borne sediments
- Conglomerate rocks
- All kinds in all layers