Now will I sing to my wellbeloved a song of my beloved touching his vineyard. My wellbeloved hath a vineyard in a very fruitful hill:
(Song of Solomon 1:13)
- Jesus, the wellbeloved, obviously loves Israel like a man's love for a woman
A bundle of myrrh is my wellbeloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts.
Having yet therefore one son, his wellbeloved, he sent him also last unto them, saying, They will reverence my son.
And he fenced it, and gathered out the stones thereof, and planted it with the choicest vine, and built a tower in the midst of it, and also made a winepress therein: and he looked that it should bring forth grapes, and it brought forth wild grapes.
- Protected it, prepared it, planted it, chose the choicest domesticated vine, built a tower for overlooking and tended, the center of it being the best vantage point, built the press, waited
- The winepress was in the vineyard, so as to not have to carry the grapes home and waste time and flavour in the crops and each vineyard owner had his own press
- In vineyards, this is all that needs to be done, thorough
- In Israel they were always and still are surrounded by stone walls
- The most pruning possibly done to any plant is needfully done to a vine, and even to the point of cutting to the very stump right after the vintage
And now, O inhabitants of Jerusalem, and men of Judah, judge, I pray you, betwixt me and my vineyard.
- A challenge to Israel to show any insufficencies in God's dealings with them
What could have been done more to my vineyard, that I have not done in it? wherefore, when I looked that it should bring forth grapes, brought it forth wild grapes?
Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles? Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit. A good tree cannot bring forth evil fruit, neither can a corrupt tree bring forth good fruit. Every tree that bringeth not forth good fruit is hewn down, and cast into the fire. Wherefore by their fruits ye shall know them.
- This is not the doings of the vineyard owner nor his expectations for his grapes
- The only way to get wild grapes from domesticated ones is through deliberate grafting or replacing the vines with wild ones
- The vineyard owner would never do this
And now go to; I will tell you what I will do to my vineyard: I will take away the hedge thereof, and it shall be eaten up; and break down the wall thereof, and it shall be trodden down: And I will lay it waste: it shall not be pruned, nor digged; but there shall come up briers and thorns: I will also command the clouds that they rain no rain upon it.
- No protection from destroyers who eat, trample
- No pruning for fruit=no fruit or none good
- No weeding=weeds, thorns, pricker bushes
- No rain=drying and dying on the vine
- No vineyard left.............but perhaps a remnant
- Foretold here and throughout Isaiah's prophecy
For the vineyard of the LORD of hosts is the house of Israel, and the men of Judah his pleasant plant: and he looked for judgment, but behold oppression; for righteousness, but behold a cry.
- The OFFICIAL declaration of who the vineyard is
Woe unto them that join house to house, that lay field to field, till there be no place, that they may be placed alone in the midst of the earth!
But woe unto you that are rich! for ye have received your consolation. Woe unto you that are full! for ye shall hunger. Woe unto you that laugh now! for ye shall mourn and weep.
- Rich, arrogant people who buy up land all around themselves, hoping to leave no room for the "lesser fortunate" and "eyesores" and "white trash"and "seedier elements"
- This continues today and the woes to those are many
But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
In mine ears said the LORD of hosts, Of a truth many houses shall be desolate, even great and fair, without inhabitant. Yea, ten acres of vineyard shall yield one bath, and the seed of an homer shall yield an ephah.
- Empty mansions
- Unfruitful vineyards, ten acres yielding seven gallons and one pint!
- 1. A place for bathing; a convenient vat or receptacle of water for persons to plunge or wash their bodies in. Baths are warm or tepid, hot or cold, more generally called warm and cold. They are also natural or artificial. Natural baths are those which consist of spring water, either hot or cold, which is often impregnated with iron, and called chalybeate, or with sulphur, carbonic acid, and other mineral qualities. These waters are often very efficacious in scorbutic, bilious, dyspeptic and other complaints.
- 2. A place in which heat is applied to a body immersed in some substance. Thus, A dry bath is made of hot sand, ashes, salt,or other matter, for the purpose of applying heat to a body immersed in them.
A vapor bath is formed by filling an apartment with hot steam or vapor, in which the body sweats copiously, as in Russia; or the term is used for the application of hot steam to a diseased part of the body.
A metalline bath is water impregnated with iron or other metallic substance, and applied to a diseased part.
- In chimistry, a wet bath is formed by hot water in which is placed a vessel containing the matter which requires a softer heat than the naked fire.
- In medicine, the animal bath is made by wrapping the part affected in a warm skin just taken from an animal.
- 3. A house for bathing. In some eastern countries, baths are very magnificent edifices.
- 4. A Hebrew measure containing the tenth of a homer, or seven gallons and four pints, as a measure for liquids; and three pecks and three pints, as a dry measure.
Woe unto them that rise up early in the morning, that they may follow strong drink; that continue until night, till wine inflame them!
- Many woes from alcohol abuse, so no one needs another, especially from God!
- Early morning to night is basically every..........waking..........minute..........drunk
And the harp, and the viol, the tabret, and pipe, and wine, are in their feasts: but they regard not the work of the LORD, neither consider the operation of his hands.
- Music intended for worship is now for drunken orgies
- God is forgotten, His Glory and His Handiwork
Therefore my people are gone into captivity, because they have no knowledge: and their honourable men are famished, and their multitude dried up with thirst.
- Another laundry list done, the final result is revealed
- They no longer even know God
- They are hungry and thirsty for the wrong things, so remain so
Blessed are they which do hunger and thirst after righteousness: for they shall be filled.
And Jesus said unto them, I am the bread of life: he that cometh to me shall never hunger; and he that believeth on me shall never thirst.
In the last day, that great day of the feast, Jesus stood and cried, saying, If any man thirst, let him come unto me, and drink.
Therefore hell hath enlarged herself, and opened her mouth without measure: and their glory, and their multitude, and their pomp, and he that rejoiceth, shall descend into it.
- Hell was smaller; they have forced God to make it larger to fit them
- This is a stinging indictment
- Their own glory
- Their large numbers, all alike
- Their pomp, only otherwise spoken of in the enemy and Egypt (type of the world)
Pomp seems to be associated with power and strength, perhaps also trust in their armies
Then shall he say also unto them on the left hand, Depart from me, ye cursed, into everlasting fire, prepared for the devil and his angels:
Thy pomp is brought down to the grave, and the noise of thy viols: the worm is spread under thee, and the worms cover thee.
Wherefore I will bring the worst of the heathen, and they shall possess their houses: I will also make the pomp of the strong to cease; and their holy places shall be defiled.
For I will lay the land most desolate, and the pomp of her strength shall cease; and the mountains of Israel shall be desolate, that none shall pass through.
At Tehaphnehes also the day shall be darkened, when I shall break there the yokes of Egypt: and the pomp of her strength shall cease in her: as for her, a cloud shall cover her, and her daughters shall go into captivity.
By the swords of the mighty will I cause thy multitude to fall, the terrible of the nations, all of them: and they shall spoil the pomp of Egypt, and all the multitude thereof shall be destroyed.
And on the morrow, when Agrippa was come, and Bernice, with great pomp, and was entered into the place of hearing, with the chief captains, and principal men of the city, at Festus' commandment Paul was brought forth.
And the mean man shall be brought down, and the mighty man shall be humbled, and the eyes of the lofty shall be humbled: But the LORD of hosts shall be exalted in judgment, and God that is holy shall be sanctified in righteousness.
- This is a repitition of a previous pronunciation of judgment
The lofty looks of man shall be humbled, and the haughtiness of men shall be bowed down, and the LORD alone shall be exalted in that day.
Then shall the lambs feed after their manner, and the waste places of the fat ones shall strangers eat.
(2 Kings 25:12)
But the captain of the guard left of the poor of the land to be vinedressers and husbandmen.
Woe unto them that draw iniquity with cords of vanity, and sin as it were with a cart rope:
- They were hauling their sins around with them, hitching their carts to it, proudly
- "Cords of vanity" implies either that God will easily break them, or simply it is vanity to haul one's sins with them
That say, Let him make speed, and hasten his work, that we may see it: and let the counsel of the Holy One of Israel draw nigh and come, that we may know it!
- The ultimate arrogance of brazenly taunting, daring and challenging God!
- It is like saying, "What's He gonna do to us? What CAN He do to us?"
Woe unto them that call evil good, and good evil; that put darkness for light, and light for darkness; that put bitter for sweet, and sweet for bitter!
- Another woe, this time to the values reversers
- PRIDE--------- >>>>COMPROMISE--------- >>>>OUTRIGHT FLAGRANT SIN--------- >>>>CALLING SIN GOOD AND VICE VERSA
- This is the typical mindset of the flesh
Woe unto them that are wise in their own eyes, and prudent in their own sight!
- A lack of fear makes on wise in his own eyes
- Proverbs 3:5-10:
- Trust God
- Forget the fleshly mind
- Acknowledge God
- Be led by God
- Have God's wisdom, not your own
- Fear God
- Depart from evil (a natural consequence)
and go to God
- Gain health from it as a benefit, promised by God
- Give back to God
- God will bless back
Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding.
In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths. Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. It shall be health to thy navel, and marrow to thy bones.
Honour the LORD with thy substance, and with the firstfruits of all thine increase: So shall thy barns be filled with plenty, and thy presses shall burst out with new wine.
Woe unto them that are mighty to drink wine, and men of strength to mingle strong drink: Which justify the wicked for reward, and take away the righteousness of the righteous from him!
- "Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Acton
- Today it is fine wines and brandy in sniffers
- Deciding the fates of others by consensus
- Reversing evil and good
Therefore as the fire devoureth the stubble, and the flame consumeth the chaff, so their root shall be as rottenness, and their blossom shall go up as dust: because they have cast away the law of the LORD of hosts, and despised the word of the Holy One of Israel.
- Fiery judgment from their enemies
- Dying on the vine, rotting on the ground
- God is inseparable from His Word
- Reject one, reject both-below are just a few examples of the Living and Written Word being compared with the same description, throughout Scripture
THE STATE OF SINFUL MAN
1 Peter 1:24-25
For all flesh is as grass, and all the glory of man as the flower of grass. The grass withereth, and the flower thereof falleth away: But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.
GOD AND HIS WORD-INSEPARABLE
BORN AGAIN BY THE LIVING AND WRITTEN WORD
(1 Peter 1:23)
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
Jesus answered and said unto him, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born again, he cannot see the kingdom of God.
Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.
In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,)
full of grace and truth.
I said therefore unto you, that ye shall die in your sins: for if ye believe not that I am he, ye shall die in your sins.
TZADDI. Righteous art thou, O LORD, and upright are thy judgments.
Jesus saith unto him, I am the way, the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me.
Sanctify them through thy truth: thy word is truth.
(1 Samuel 3:1)
And the child Samuel ministered unto the LORD before Eli. And the word of the LORD was precious in those days; there was no open vision.
(1 Peter 2:6)
Wherefore also it is contained in the scripture, Behold, I lay in Sion a chief corner stone, elect, precious: and he that believeth on him shall not be confounded.
And no man hath ascended up to heaven, but he that came down from heaven, even the Son of man which is in heaven.
LAMED. For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth.
It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.
The law of the LORD is perfect, converting the soul: the testimony of the LORD is sure, making wise the simple.
Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.
Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
(1 Peter 1:23)
Being born again, not of corruptible seed, but of incorruptible, by the word of God, which liveth and abideth for ever.
The eternal God is thy refuge, and underneath are the everlasting arms: and he shall thrust out the enemy from before thee; and shall say, Destroy them.
NUN. Thy word is a lamp unto my feet, and a light unto my path.
And God said, Let there be light: and there was light.
In him was life; and the life was the light of men.
Then spake Jesus again unto them, saying, I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness, but shall have the light of life.
The sun shall be no more thy light by day; neither for brightness shall the moon give light unto thee: but the LORD shall be unto thee an everlasting light, and thy God thy glory.Thy sun shall no more go down; neither shall thy moon withdraw itself: for the LORD shall be thine everlasting light, and the days of thy mourning shall be ended.
And there shall be no night there; and they need no candle, neither light of the sun; for the Lord God giveth them light: and they shall reign for ever and ever.
Therefore is the anger of the LORD kindled against his people, and he hath stretched forth his hand against them, and hath smitten them: and the hills did tremble, and their carcases were torn in the midst of the streets. For all this his anger is not turned away, but his hand is stretched out still.
- Mercy and grace in the midst of a judgment God does not want but is forced by His Holiness
- This is how and why parents discipline their children
- They do not want to
- They must for the sake of the child and because of the child's actions
- They ask them to repent and come back before, during and after
And he will lift up an ensign to the nations from far, and will hiss unto them from the end of the earth: and, behold, they shall come with speed swiftly:
- One sign that the nation is not pleasing the LORD is that their enemies are definitely not "at peace" with Israel!
- Raising a flag and hissing to get therm to come means they are ripe for judgment
When a man's ways please the LORD, he maketh even his enemies to be at peace with him.
None shall be weary nor stumble among them; none shall slumber nor sleep; neither shall the girdle of their loins be loosed, nor the latchet of their shoes be broken:
- Everything is prepared for this army, and they will remain battle-ready
Whose arrows are sharp, and all their bows bent, their horses' hoofs shall be counted like flint, and their wheels like a whirlwind:
- Archers with bows back and honed arrows-lethal combos
- The striking of flint to make a fire is fast, hence the speed of the horses and chariot wheels spinning like a tornado
Their roaring shall be like a lion, they shall roar like young lions: yea, they shall roar, and lay hold of the prey, and shall carry it away safe, and none shall deliver it.
- Young lions are not part of a pride and therefore must hunt on their own, making them very successful
- Lions are the only social cat, like members of an army
And in that day they shall roar against them like the roaring of the sea: and if one look unto the land, behold darkness and sorrow, and the light is darkened in the heavens thereof.
- The sound of both an angry lion and an angry sea are loud, constant, intimidating