Genesis Chapter 9
And God blessed Noah and his sons, and said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth.
- Because of Noah's act of worship, God blesses Noah, and this permeates his family, trickling down to his sons
- To be fruitful and multiply means to have more than two children, and this is an empty earth with only eight people on it so it is ripe for replenishment
- This time the word "replenish" can either mean "to fill" or "to refill", because it was full previously
- In Genesis 1, the context demands that it mean "to fill" simply because it was never full before
And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth.
And the fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth, and upon every fowl of the air, upon all that moveth upon the earth, and upon all the fishes of the sea; into your hand are they delivered.
- Previous to this time, what we call wild beasts had no fear of man, but did eat grass and other plants, so man was off limits
- That said, man had no reason to fear an attack by any creature, including a dragon or a lion, since people were not food
- God also would have had a supernatural barrier to attack as well, that being lifted by His Word here, putting fear and dread on the animals.
Every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you; even as the green herb have I given you all things.
- The context of the word "meat" means it must mean simply "food" here
- The first time man is commanded to eat animal "meat" as "meat"(food)
- There is no indication that people ate meat before the Flood or did not do so but, since man was so wicked, he probably did without permission and in rebellion to God.
But flesh with the life thereof, which is the blood thereof, shall ye not eat.
- The life is in the blood, so all animals must be bled to be eaten, and eating blood is forbidden for that reason
- Shed blood is what Jesus Christ did for us. He bled to death and this Blood was sprinkled on the Mercy Seat in Heaven
- Pagans, satanists, etc. use animal blood in their rituals as well, and even drink it
- There is even a disgusting thing called a blood sausage which was once eaten by the poor; now sold in stores for general consumption
- For this reason, plants are not 'alive" in the same sense as animals, which is why Cain's sacrifice of his crops was not acceptable to God, but Abel's was.
For the life of the flesh is in the blood: and I have given it to you upon the altar to make an atonement for your souls: for it is the blood that maketh an atonement for the soul.
For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins.
And he said unto them, This is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many.
Likewise also the cup after supper, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood, which is shed for you.
How much more shall the blood of Christ, who through the eternal Spirit offered himself without spot to God, purge your conscience from dead works to serve the living God?
Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;
For when Moses had spoken every precept to all the people according to the law, he took the blood of calves and of goats, with water, and scarlet wool,and hyssop, and sprinkled both the book, and all the people, Saying, This is the blood of the testament which God hath enjoined unto you. Moreover he sprinkled with blood both the tabernacle, and all the vessels of the ministry. And almost all things are by the law purged with blood; and without shedding of blood is no remission. It was therefore necessary that the patterns of things in the heavens should be purified with these; but the heavenly things themselves with better sacrifices than these.
Let us draw near with a true heart in full assurance of faith, having our hearts sprinkled from an evil conscience, and our bodies washed with pure water.
And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.
(1 Peter 1:2)
Elect according to the foreknowledge of God the Father, through sanctification of the Spirit, unto obedience and sprinkling of the blood of Jesus Christ: Grace unto you, and peace, be multiplied.
ABLE vs. CAIN
And in process of time it came to pass, that Cain brought of the fruit of the ground an offering unto the LORD. And Abel, he also brought of the firstlings of his flock and of the fat thereof. And the LORD had respect unto Abel and to his offering: But unto Cain and to his offering he had not respect. And Cain was very wroth, and his countenance fell.
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.
And surely your blood of your lives will I require; at the hand of every beast will I require it, and at the hand of man; at the hand of every man's brother will I require the life of man.
- The life of man is required for both his fellow man and beast
- An animal that kills a person has to be "hunted down and put down"
- Failure to do so will lead to more man-eater kinds of beasts
If an ox gore a man or a woman, that they die: then the ox shall be surely stoned, and his flesh shall not be eaten; but the owner of the ox shall be quit. But if the ox were wont to push with his horn in time past, and it hath been testified to his owner, and he hath not kept him in, but that he hath killed a man or a woman; the ox shall be stoned, and his owner also shall be put to death.
Whoso sheddeth man's blood, by man shall his blood be shed: for in the image of God made he man.
- This is not said of any other creature; only of man
- No other creatures were made in God's image-only mankind was
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.
And you, be ye fruitful, and multiply; bring forth abundantly in the earth, and multiply therein.
- God repeats the command to increase and fill up the earth
- This is in direct opposition to what the world says about the earth's population today
And God spake unto Noah, and to his sons with him, saying, And I, behold, I establish my covenant with you, and with your seed after you;
- This covenant is still in effect with us guaranteeing that no global flood would occur as long as the earth exists
- We all are Noah's "seed after him"
And with every living creature that is with you, of the fowl, of the cattle, and of every beast of the earth with you; from all that go out of the ark, to every beast of the earth.
- This covenant applies also to the creatures, showing that again they were all wiped out in the flood
And I will establish my covenant with you; neither shall all flesh be cut off any more by the waters of a flood; neither shall there any more be a flood to destroy the earth.
- If there was no Global Flood, then this covenant is null and void, since there have been so many nasty local floods worldwide, sometimes almost daily, since
- Some places near rivers are inundated yearly with the river's rising
- Flash floods occur with each heavy rain in the desert from rain on the surrounding mountains, worldwide
And God said, This is the token of the covenant which I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for perpetual generations: I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth.
- God pulls back the clouds, revealing the sun, and a rainbow for the first time on earth
- This is how we know this covenant is still in effect today
And it shall come to pass, when I bring a cloud over the earth, that the bow shall be seen in the cloud: And I will remember my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh; and the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh.
- The rainbow, hijacked today by those who wish God to not exist and that He would simply leave them alone, is His symbol
- God is not forgetful, He simple means that He honors this covenant even today, and it again shows from the text that the Flood was global, since He repeats "my covenant, which is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh"
- "the waters shall no more become a flood to destroy all flesh"
And the bow shall be in the cloud; and I will look upon it, that I may remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is upon the earth.
- The rainbow, beautiful as it is, is God's reminder of two things:
- It was a global flood in Noah's day and it wiped out life due to the judgment of worldwide sin
- It will not happen again; all others will be local
And God said unto Noah, This is the token of the covenant, which I have established between me and all flesh that is upon the earth.
- Yet another repetition of the global nature of the Flood, "all flesh that is upon the earth"
And the sons of Noah, that went forth of the ark, were Shem, and Ham, and Japheth: and Ham is the father of Canaan.
- These are the three only ancestors of all people groups on the earth
Semites, Asian people groups/tribes/nations-Israel, through whom the blessings of the Messiah came
African people groups/tribes/nations, Aborigines, etc.
Japeth:European people groups/tribes/nations, everyone else
These are the three sons of Noah: and of them was the whole earth overspread.
- All three sons had the same dad, indicating that all peoples were directly related to one man, Noah
And Noah began to be an husbandman, and he planted a vineyard:
- There is no industry which can be done when you and your immediate family are the only ones on the earth, and the earth has been completely remodeled, and there are only two things available so far-the animals with you and any plants on the ground, popping up.
- It may be Noah had enough foresight to gather some vegetable and fruit seeds before entering the Ark, especially grape seeds-but there is no proof of this, since presumably God did not command him to.
And he drank of the wine, and was drunken; and he was uncovered within his tent.
- Nothing good can come from this and presumably this could have been one of the things Noah brought with him on the Ark?
- Or did grape vines just grow out of the ground immediately after the flood waters drained off?
- Either way, we are all sinners, of the flesh, and Noah was not spoken of illy by God, because even after this he was called "the heir of the righteous which is by faith" and is included in the Hebrews Hall of Fame
By faith Noah, being warned of God of things not seen as yet, moved with fear, prepared an ark to the saving of his house; by the which he condemned the world, and became heir of the righteousness which is by faith.
And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father, and told his two brethren without.
- This was not just a sighting. HE thought that this was funny and his father was now vulnerable
- The obvious right thing to do was just cover him, not tell others to come and laugh
- Ham was not a child
And Shem and Japheth took a garment, and laid it upon both their shoulders, and went backward, and covered the nakedness of their father; and their faces were backward, and they saw not their father's nakedness.
- Apparently they did not think that this was as funny as Ham did, and did the right thing to the point of going in backward so as to not look upon their father.
- For this action, it says they did not SEE his nakedness.
- One effect of the Fall and entrance in of sin is shame in nakedness, unknown to Adam and Eve before the Fall.
And Noah awoke from his wine, and knew what his younger son had done unto him.
- The only way for him to know is Shem and Japeth or their wives or Noah's wife knew and told him
- Shem had a track record with this and Noah perceived it had to be Ham
And he said, Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be unto his brethren.
- Presumably because it was Noah's youngest son, then the curse would pass to Ham's youngest son, showing the effect of sin being passed down even to the least
- Is it possible that this would be more of a punishment to Ham than the curse being on himself?
- One false idea today is that this curse is passed through all of Africa by this sin.
- Nothing can be further from the truth.
- The curse on Africa is by man, not God.
And he said, Blessed be the LORD God of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant. God shall enlarge Japheth, and he shall dwell in the tents of Shem; and Canaan shall be his servant.
- Shem is indeed blessed today in Israel, who also is blessing the world
- The Canaanites were bitter enemies of Israel,
And Noah lived after the flood three hundred and fifty years. And all the days of Noah were nine hundred and fifty years: and he died.
- Longevity continues for a short time after the Flood
- The canopy preventing UV radiation is now gone, so the sunlight is now dangerous, shortening lives